Thursday 1 December 2011

COAT

How much for a simple coat? Well it looks straightforward enough, and I've got such a vision of the coat I want that I'm finding it impossible to settle for anything I can see in the shops. I want more, and I want it to fit. So I'm going to make my own damnit!

No I've never made a coat before, but following the success of the superhero suit I made for my son I want to have a go.


So this is what I've got. A 6-ish year old thing that has so completely lost its charms that I am happy to dismember it for my cause. 

If you're wondering what all that crap is hanging off the front, it's me using scraps of old curtains to determine what shape I want the front to be. I've also pinned out pinches along the front panel seams to try to reduce the bagginess so that this off the peg coat will be redeveloped into a pattern for a new, better fitted, one-of-a-kind a-la-Nadia coat. If anyone out there has coat making experience and wants to share some advice I'm all ears. Otherwise I'm going in blind. I'll just hack this thing together and see what the result is.


Here is what I want.... my first sketch of my coat.

And here is my more refined hand drawing of the front. In the rear I want a double pleat to balance the wide front panel. Its first incarnation will be made from old curtain fabric. 

No comments:

Post a Comment